Main Street and Historic District

Main Street 

Cottage Grove's Main Street, a commercial Historic District, is home to the most intact collection of early twentieth century buildings in Lane County. Many of the buildings were designed by noted architect John Hunzicker. It has been a primary business center since it was built over 100 years ago with bricks and lumber coming from almost entirely local sources. This district has been a focal point for local farming, Bohemia mining activities, and a substantial wood products industry. Today, antique shops, specialty boutiques, delicious restaurants, and family-friendly parks welcome visitors from around Oregon and beyond. We hope you enjoy its small-town history and charm!


The Covered Bridges

Centennial Bridge in Cottage Grove

As the Covered Bridge Capital of the West, Cottage Grove is honored to contribute to Oregon's collection of covered bridges. With 20 covered bridges total, Lane County possesses more covered bridges than any other county west of the Mississippi, and with 6 covered bridges, Cottage Grove has the most of any town in Lane County! 

Oregon's covered bridge architecture dates as far back as the 1850s. Early pioneers built the bridges out of necessity with high-quality timber, which was more accessible in the area than costly steel and concrete. To preserve the bridges, "houses" were constructed over the timber trusses to protect them from the damp Western Oregon climate.

The heyday of covered bridge building in Oregon occurred between 1905 and 1925 when there were an estimated 450 covered bridges in the state. By 1977, this number had dwindled to 56. Cottage Grove is proud to keep the history and architecture of covered bridges alive.


Gold Mining

  Gold mining in Cottage Grove, 1925. Photo found at the Cottage Grove Historical Society

Gold mining in Cottage Grove, 1925. Photo found at the Cottage Grove Historical Society

In 1863, gold was discovered in the Bohemia Mountains, just east of town. Named after James “Bohemia” Johnson, the Bohemia Mining District features abandoned mines and ghost towns such as Bohemia City that can be toured by vehicle. Visit the Bohemia Gold Mining Museum at 737 Main St. (hours: Wed, Thurs & Sat, 1 pm - 4 pm, 541-942-9044) to see a collection of photographs, tools, rocks, minerals and other artifacts paying tribute to the area’s gold mining history. The annual Bohemia Mining Days Festival honors the mining history of the area with a prospectors’ breakfast, food booths, gold panning, Bloomers Parade, Gold Dust Electric Light Parade, Grand Miners Parade, Rodeo, historic encampment, living history, and more.